Re: [APD] CO2 and pH control

Fish in lakes seem to be able to experience rapid and
significant changes in pH without a problem. I wold guess
that the issue mainly revolves around the amount of
ammonia/ammonium in the water and how much the percentage
that is ammnia changs as the pH rises.

sh

--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> David Grim wrote:
> > "changes in pH are a common cause of fish fatalities.
> Fish can adapt to most
> > pH levels, if not broadly out of range, but they can't
> adapt to bouncing
> > levels........Keep in mind to change it [pH} slowly as
> it causes a lot of
> > stress to your fish."
>
> I have always heard this, but I have to admit I have
> never seen an
> explanation. I understand the ammonia toxicity, and the
> effects on
> nitrifying bacteria (which don't matter in a planted tank
> anyway), but I
> don't understand why the fish should care until it
> becomes so acidic or
> caustic that it is causing burns or tissue damage.
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/