Re: [APD] Diatom filter and Haze (CO2 loss)

Exactly, the thing works fine without a whole bunch of whodinannies on
it.  Its a PITA when green water strikes (of course, of my bad
dosing/keeping), but its far easier to take this thing out of the
basement and get it primed for a 4-5 hours of extra special filtering.
To make sure that things are going well, I leave it primed and hooked to
the tank for a few days...that way if the green water reappears, I can
make sure to keep it clean while figuring out whats going on.  If I need
to get it going again, I just put a pitcher in the aquarium and put the
in/outs to the vortex in the pitcher...then start up the vortex.  I wait
until the water is clear in the pitcher, then release the sucker on the
whole aquarium.  This gets it going again without getting diatom powder
back into the aquarium...

Anyway, the tank has held clear for two days now and things are
returning to normal.  Now I just have to adjust my dosing somehow as to
not get the nitrates up so high, but maintain such excellently fast
grown...but also make sure this new growth is _good_ growth :-\  I'll
get it eventually.

I'm still wondering if cleaning this prefilter has caused this haze!
Should I lower the top of the trickle filter so the biomedia is actually
in the sump water?  What about the incredibly bright green growth, is
this a result of the really high nitrates?

Thanks,

-Dave