Re: [APD] NH4

Let's play detective and construct a timeline!  I'll be Detective
Lenny, a cop with a secret addiction to cocaine.  You can be Martha
Stewart.

There are two leads I would like to examine.

LEAD I.  AFTER THE CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED.
NO3 does not induce the transformation from a spore to an alga.  Ok, I
will accept that; but let's examine its role when the cops have
arrived.  Based upon the scenarios I've provided you earlier, you gave
an unclear answer, so let's expound on that. :D

I ASKED, "Once algae is in its active reproductive stage, which tank
will algae growth be the fastest? [...] TANK 1: High in nutrients.
TANK 2: Low in nutrients."

YOU REPLIED, "Once the algae are adults, both tanks will grow well,
but the NH4 maybe slightly better growth of the algae."

Would you elaborate on your response please?  When you said that "both
tanks will grow well", are you saying the ALGAL GROWTH RATES are the
SAME in both tanks?  Ignore NH4.  Assume there's no NH4 present in
either tanks when the algae are adults.

LEAD II.  BEFORE THE AX EXPOSES THE THINGS THAT BELONG ON THE INSIDE.
If I am reading you right, then it all boils down to NH4 being the
agent that CAUSES spores (invisible) to transform into adult algae
(visible).

Low CO2 -> plants remove less NH4 -> NH4 accumulates -> algae
Low plants -> less NH4 absorbed -> NH4 accumulates -> algae
Nutrient deficiency -> plant growth slows/halts -> less NH4 absorbed
-> NH4 accumulates -> algae
Etc.

>From the timelines above, the intersecting point is the accumulation
of NH4.  So, is it logical to conclude that IF NH4 does NOT
accumulate, THEN there will be no algae?  If so, then would a daily
dosage of a dechloriaminator such as Seachem's Prime and NovaAqua's
Amquel+ be the solution to our algae problems?

Any NH4/3 produced will be instantly zapped by the active ingredient
in these dechloriaminators.  This will remove our dependence on
unreliable/impractical NH4 sinks: proper plant growth, functional
filter bacteria bed, daily water changes, etc.

This all seems a bit too easy.  If it were this simple, I am sure
someone would have figured that out decades ago.  So what am I not
seeing Martha? :(

Derek
Breaking the chain.