Re: [APD] Excess nutrients

On 12/3/05, Bill D <billinet at comcast_net> wrote:

> I am thinking of a healthy but lightly planted tank with low nutrient
> levels
> (say, 5 ppm of NO3 and .5 ppm of PO4) and no algae.  If the nutrients were
> suddenly increased to, say, 50 ppm and 5 ppm and maintained at that level,
> do you think an algae outbreak would occur?

In my experience the aswer is no.  I haven't done controlled experiements
and don't intend to, but I've had NO3 at 40ppm and PO4 at 5ppm and had no
algae at all.  Those spikes came from a dramatic change in the tap water
that occured in late spring/early summer.  THe only time I've had issues is
with those lower levels of nutrients.  I think the reason for that is that
it is too easy for them to slip to near 0 ppm inhibiting plant growth.

Liz