Re: [APD] Ammonia and Nitrates

It has been proposed that it's the ammonia, which the
plants absorb quickly. So absence of plants. . .

sh

--- Liz Wilhite <satirica at gmail_com> wrote:

> Plants do grow better when given sufficient fertilizer.
>
> The question I asked months ago still remains:  why don't
> we see algae in
> tanks with plants with excess levels of fertilizers.  If
> we set up a tank
> and fertilize it with NO3, K, PO4, CO2, Fe and trace
> minerals, light it at
> 2.5 WPG for 12 hours a day, and don't put plants in we
> are probably going to
> see results that look a lot like Bill's.  Algae should
> grow quite well.  The
> plants seem to be key.
>
> I know we've been told that allelopathy isn't at play but
> if the plants
> themselves are not putting out chemicals that are
> suppressing algae, then
> how can we account for the fact that the aquarium with
> plants doesn't grow
> algae at the rate of the tank without plants with the
> same level of
> nutritents?
>
> Liz

All the other terrific entries in the 6th Annual AGA Aquascaping Contest are on display:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

In service to the community, the AGA has opened forums:

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/