Re: [APD] Tom Barr's Estimative Index

My understanding is that nitrate and phosphate can be pretty high with
no adverse effect on plants, and no algae bloom, but ammonia is another
story.  Even small amounts of ammonia suddenly added by, for example,
uprooting a plant tab that uses ammonia, will start an algae bloom.
Otherwise, algae can start from unstable nutrient conditions, such as
wildly varying CO2 levels or widely spaced and large additions of other
nutrients.  Perhaps I am misstating the latest theories, but that is
how I understood it.

On a side note, today, after almost two years without an operating
aquarium, I will be setting up and planting my 29 gallon tank!  It is
raining outside now, but I feel like it's midsummer!!  The drinks are
on me!

Vaughn H.