Re: [APD] Tom Barr's Estimative Index

Who's Tom Barr????  :-))

Laith

-----Original Message-----
From: Saugata Banerjee [mailto:saugatab at gmail_com]
Sent: 01 December 2005 05:07
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Tom Barr's Estimative Index

Hi! All,

Sometime back I was reading Tom Barr's Report on "Estimative Index". It is
quite an interesting article. In a nutshell this is what he suggests for a
20G planted tank with pressurised CO2 injection & sufficient light (4 w/g):-

KNO3 - 1/4th of a teaspoon
KH2PO4 - 1/32th of a teaspoon
Trace Elements - 5 ml per dosage
Seachem Equilibrium during weekly water change
Weekly water change of 50%
Now, KNO3 & KH2PO4 is be dosed on Day 1 followed by Trace Elements on Day2
and then repeat the process. On the day of water change only KNO3 & KH2PO4
to be dosed along with Seachem's Equilibrium.

Now what I would like to know is that has anybody tried out this mode of
dosing? If yes what was the result? He also says that in this way there is
NO NEED for test kits! What Tom Barr suggests seems to be diametrically
opposite to what is generally felt right. For eg:- he maintains that "excess
Phosphate doesn't lead to algae bloom". His dosage routine is also not in
line with PMDD as he advocates KH2PO4 instead of K2SO4.

What are the comments of experts (planted tanks) on his theory?

Regards,

Saugata