Re: [APD] CO2 rates, CF & pH swings

KB: "I recently upgraded the lighting in my 50g tank from around 130w to 6
x 55w CF's (= 330w)."

Why?

KB: "Is that because with the increased light, the plants are using the CO2
faster than it's being provided when the lights are on?"

Sounds plausible.

KB: "I've scanned the archives & opinion (in the few posts that cover this
topic) seems divided?"

Differences of opinion!? Here!?!?

KB: "I'm interested to know because I'm considering putting my pH
controller & solenoid valve back into operation & increasing the baseline
flow rate so that, when the pH starts to rise, the CO2 injection rate can
be much higher than I would dare to run continuously."

Since you already have the equipment, that sounds like a good plan. The
other way to do it is to create enough circulation in the water so that the
tank is blowing off CO2 at a constant rate, night or day. Provide enough
CO2 that the fish don't stress, especially at night. Then, the fish are
safe and the plants dip into the reserve during the day. It won't be
absolutely optimal for the plants, but works at a simple foolproof
mechanical level for the fish.

TW