Re: [APD] Odnos (2)

If they were wired in series, then the voltage at each
socket in use would be be divided between it and all the
other sockets in use on that ciricuit, which would be a
heck of a thing to do to equipment expecting 110-120 Volts.
So if theyre wre in series, I hope you had an electrician
rewire the circuit.

GFCIs "sockets" usually can be wired in either of two ways
-- one way, the GFCI protection only covers that one pair
of sockets on the GFCI device -- the other way, everything
down line gets GFCI protection too, but the current limit
on the line is the current limit of the GFCI device.

If A GFCI is wired to protect the whole circuit and if any
part of the circuit or anything plugged into the circuit
has a leak of current to ground (even a leak between the
Neutral and Ground), then the GFCI will trip. This is
possibly what happened in your case?  IF the GFCI is UL
rated it will not only protect against a leak of current
that's supposed to go between Hot and Neutral -- it senses
any imbalance between Hot and Neutral lines and an
imbalance trips the device -- but also detects leaks
between Neutral to Ground. They do this by supplying a very
putting a small voltage on both the Hot and Neutral wires
(even when nothing is plugged in) -- if there is a short
between Neutral and Ground downstream, it makes a complete
circuit since neutral is grounded back at the circuit
breaker panel and you then have and imbalance between Hot
and Neutral, which trips the GFCI device.  The
Neutral-to-ground fault detector, of course is placed
upstream (inside the device) of the hot-to-ground fault
detector ;-)

Son either of these conditions could have been the reason
installing a GFCI led to circuit shut-down.

Btw, it you see a device listed as a GFI or something other
than "GFCI", it probably only detects Hot-to-ground faults
and not also Neutral-to-ground faults. Under OSHA, NEC, and
UL requirements, "GFCI" is reserved for devices that detect
both types of faults.

sh