Re: [APD] A Piece of Schadenfreude for You (You Thought it Was Bad Before)

Jerry Baker wrote:
> "Well, you must have told us it was for an acrylic aquarium because
> that's the right dimensions for an acrylic tank," he says.

The more I think about this, the weirder it seems. Standard 125G tanks
are 72" x 18" - acrylic or glass. Glass just has the plastic molding
that makes a 72 1/2" x 18 1/2" footprint. Why would you make a stand for
an acrylic tank a different size anyway? At first I was thinking that
there would be a bigger gap if you didn't, but as I thought about it and
realized that the gap between the stand's molding and the glass/acrylic
would be the same, the less it made sense. If you put an acrylic tank in
a 72 1/2" x 18 1/2" stand, there's going to be a 1/4" gap between the
acrylic and the molding on the stand. If you place a glass tank in that
same stand, it's going to have a 1/4" gap between the glass and the
stand's molding also. The only thing you would accomplish by making a
stand 3/8" smaller is to reduce the acrylic/molding gap by an
unnoticeable 3/16", but at the same time insure that you can never put a
glass tank on that stand. I can't see why one would purposefully limit
the utility for 3/16" of gap. Me thinks they were just thinking on their
toes and that even if I had told them it was for an acrylic tank, they
still screwed up considering that no dimensions were ever discussed
other than to say that it was a "standard 72" x 18" 125G tank." Not only
that, but 72 1/8" is only leaving 1/16" on either end even for an
acrylic tank. I can't imagine that it's all that strange to get a tank
that's even that much wider than "standard."

Sorry to go on about it, but I'm dwelling on it. I'm sort of thinking
out loud to see if anyone thinks I'm being unreasonable. I just assumed
it would be 72 1/2" x 18 1/2". I thought that was a kind of understood
thing. Kind of like when you order a 1/2" pipe, they don't send you a
1/2" OD pipe, and a 2" x 4" is not 2 inches by 4 inches. The measurement
is just understood.

--
Jerry Baker