Re: [APD] On the subject of snails....

Hi Dave,

That's the question isn't it - which snails are truly plant-friendly. I had
an apple snail in there, very briefly, as it treated the tank like a salad
bar and quickly munched its way to devastation. They at least are easy to
catch ;-) It got re-housed to where it could only damage lettuce.

I had understood that ramshorns don't (generally) damage plants? (Although
Stuart mentioned that his did ?!) There are available locally here through
the hobby but yes, you are correct in that NZ takes a pretty firm line on
biosecurity (and rightly so) and a great many interesting beasties and
plants are just unavailable to us. There's no question of trying to get them
from overseas.

I think the general consensus of replies to my question came down in favour
of snails in the planted tank and I expect I'll risk some red ramshorns and
MTS's. I'll withhold calcium if things get out of control.

Thanks for the responses folks.

- Rory