Re: [APD] On the subject of snails....

Hello Rory,

If you are going to use a snail make sure it wont hurt your plants.  I had
ramshorns but was made to kill them by the local authorities.   If your from
New Zealand you may have issues with the authorities and snails.   I have
heard they are more strict than Australia.   Is this true?

I have 4 species of native snails here in my aquarium plant ponds
(Australia).   I did have Ramshorn and a pond snail from down south that
carries larval stage of Liver fluke.   The Fisheries Dept (NT) closed me
from selling plants until I killed the ramshorns and the pond snail.   I
would also like to get rid of all the other snails in my ponds because some
of the local native varieties eat plants.

If anyone has ideas apart from clown loach on how to rid vast areas of
snails via a method that wont kill plants or fish I would be most
appreciative.   We have tried copper, dichlorvos and chlorothalonil which
are all nasty treatments I did not like using.   The chlorothalonil
defoliated all the plants.

Some of the Australian snails from my ponds are pictured on the database at
http://db.angfa.org.au in the gallery/animals section.

Cheers
Dave