Re: [APD] On the subject of snails....

Rory O'Brien wrote:

> Once introduced, will they just run rampant or can they be controlled at
> reasonable numbers?

Depends if they are hermaphroditic or not.

 > (Although my water is very soft and if I were to stop
 > adding calcium, I suspect all snails would eventually dissappear
 > anyway...)

True.

> So I guess I'm asking, how many folks deliberately introduced snails and
> have regretted it ever since ;-)

Only some.

I've got Golden Apple snails (Pomacea bridgesii), Giant Apple Snail (Pomacea
maculata), Nerites and Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata).
Won't be without them.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Snails,%20Malaysian%20Trumpet.htm

Only the Ramshorns and pond snails eat my plants.

--
Stuart Halliday