[APD] Ammonia uptake in the dark

Hi everyone,

I'm back, finally, after all the hurricane business. I'm still grieving over
the destruction in New Orleans, and we have moved my parents from there to
Houston. Nice to finally start to catch up on the conversations here.

I've got a question. Should I expect any uptake of ammonia in a planted tank
when the lights are off?

I have added a large chunk of driftwood with anubias, blobitis, and a tiny
bit of weeping moss to the big discus tank. the tank is 110 gallons, 25"
tall (the plants are mostly on the upper half of the wood). I've temporarily
added a double flourescent light but will probably put 2 x 55 watts AHS
units into the old strip. I have CO2 parts on order.

I will be taking off the Penguin 330 with the biowheels and substituting an
Eheim Pro2 with a Hydor inline heater. I may leave the HOT250 in place as I
like the flow it provides.

My concern is about the large sponge filter now in use. I have depended on
it for filtration during power outages because I have a battery powered air
pump that comes on when the main power goes off. Now, in trying to make the
tank look nice, I cannot keep that ugly thing in there, particularly if I
add pressurized CO2.

So, if the power goes off, day or night, can I expect the plants to take in
any ammonia? The tank gets a little bit of light from the windows, but not
much really, nothing direct anyhow. Maybe I need to hide a small emergency
sponge in there behind the wood, but if it only comes on when the power is
off, can it really do any good?

Ann V