Re: [APD] Painted tank stand

Honduras mahogany is very easy to work with, and the plywood with that
veneer is not terribly expensive - about double that for birch plywood.
  It is beautiful with no stain at all, but just a shellac sealer coat
followed by polyurethane.  The open grain is much less open than oak,
for example, and the color is both subtle and beautiful.  I did a
computer work station for installation in a closet using that wood and
it was spectacular!  Otherwise, I agree with you.
Vaughn H.