> Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:34:04 +1100
> From: "Alan Walker" <walker at netcon_net.au>

> Is there anyone here who is interested in low-tech planted aquariums?

Yes, all of our tanks are currently low-tech. I think most aquariums are
low-tech.

How would you differentiate low-tech from high-tech?

1) Cost?  More costly implies more or fancier equipment which some folks
regard as high-tech.

2) Time frame of your practices?  If you are doing aquariums based on a
1960s book, it might be regarded as low tech.  If you use EI it might be
high-tech.

3) Amount of your energy input?  Automatic water changers might be
high-tech. Siphon-and-bucket might be low-tech. Water barrel next to the
aquarium for aging tap water with a pump might be high-tech.

4) Fertilization methods?  Adding "chemicals" instead of commercial
products might be high tech.

6) Lighting?  5 wpg might be high-tech. 2 wpg might be low-tech. Aquarium
under a sky light in the ceiling might be high-tech. Aquarium next to a
window might be low-tech.

5) Application of science?  Trial and error might be low-tech. Applying a
PhD in aquaculture might be high-tech.

6) ???

George B.