On 10/30/05, aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com <
aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com> wrote:

> Perhaps the main difference between animals and human beings is that
> humans
> are capable of altruism and the animals are not.
>
> Some appear to come close but they are really just applying group survival
> instincts that have developed over eons. On those rare occasions when an
> animal appears do to something nice for another animal, there is always a
> reason, but when I make a donation to breast cancer research, there is no
> direct or indirect benefit to me. (If I were acting for selfish reasons,
> I'd give to a charity that supported research into male diseases.)
>
> Why do people act this way? Maybe God planted a seed?
>
> Bill
>
> Or maybe, some of us see it as altruistic as that we all have mothers,
sisters, wives, daughters and we know how deadly breast cancer is and
realize that our altruistic sense of self extends to those we love. I think
the main difference between non-human mammals and our species is our sense
of denial. Perhaps our group survival instincts have evolved over eons in
order to develop skills, such altruism, belief that help us survive....