[APD] Model Railroading and Aquatic Landscaping

I saw recently that there are a few of us with Railroading interests as well
as plants. Last Spring I went to the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. I
was at the Baltimore Aquarium and the Barnes and Noble next door last
weekend. In both cases the displays of the Rift Lakes were really
impressive. At Coney Island I found out that the displays there are all
using Fiberglas or resin castings of rocks, not real rocks. I got the name
of the head of display construction at Baltimore but I haven't had a chance
to call him yet to ask how they make their displays. I searched a little on
Google but not very deeply. I haven't had a lot of time to do it more
thoroughly.

But I wonder if the books I have on Model Railroading Scenery may apply.
Hard shell scenery using plaster techniques could be used if a plant and
fish safe resin were substituted for the plaster and the backing were all
removed. Has anyone ever thought of this technique for use in an aquarium?
Do you have any tips you would like to share?

Jerry Smith, Bloomingdale, NJ