Re: [APD] goldfish...ect.

Sandra Derrick wrote:
> Jerry, children can communicate from the time they can
> open their eyes if not before.

I know they can communicate, but I don't think communication via
signals, grunts, squeaks, or other means constitutes language. If it
did, then any animals that used their limbs, or various noises to
communicate could be said to have language. I think that would cover
just about all mammals, and most non-mammals as well.

We are trying to come up with something that completely and totally
separates humans from other animals and language was offered as one
possibility. If we define language as the criteria for being human, that
means that any homo sapien that does not have the capacity to use
language is no longer human.

--
Jerry Baker