Re: [APD] What Kind of Algae is This?

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:00:27 -0400
> From: "Bill D" <billinet at comcast_net>
>
> I have a kind of green algae that adheres mainly to the sides of the
> aquarium.  It is short, a millimeter or so.  It can be removed only by
> scraping with a razor blade or similar tool.
>
> I've heard this kind of algae referred to as "green spot algae" but that
> starts out growing in, well, individual spots, whereas this algae grows
> in a sheet.
>
> Does anyone have an idea as to what kind of algae this migh be?

I don't know what kind it is.  But if it has a texture like velvet,
Farlowella acus will do a great job on it.

We had a 120g tank that developed something like this about a month after
it was set up. Just one of the "algae phases" that tank with old fashioned
heating coils and a gravel/laterite substrate will go through. The algae
was a royal pain to remove.  We put a couple of farlies in and it was gone
within a week.  Never came back.

George B.