Re: [APD] Drastic pH Spike in New Planted Tank?

RJ,
         Lower the KH greater the swing in pH. There is some source of
alkalinity that can cope with 5 Bubbles per second !! "Heavily planted" is
what maybe be what you are missing.. considering everything else is normal.
Plants can absorb a lot of CO2 to make the water alkaline.

         In my tanks the pH is the highest at sunset (lights off time). This
would suggest that you have too many plants.. which is also my problem!

         I would suggest that you TEST the situation and reduce the
lighting by blocking the light partially and see if the pH spike is lower..
if it is then you've got too many plants for sure for your current KH.

         You could also try increase the KH by using more tap water
than RO water and see..

         My current thinking is that heavily planted tanks need higher
pH buffering i.e. greater KH. More plants = you need higher KH..
i.e increase the KH as your plants fill up the tank.

         Keep us informed.

Raj