[APD] Drastic pH Spike in New Planted Tank?

A friend recently setup a heavily planted 29g tank using an eheim classic
filter, inline heater and pressurized co2 with an inline pvc reactor like
many of us have. His lights are 2 AH Supply 55w CFs. he is using Flourite.
And nothing else.

His RO water is 7.0pH at the source. kH is approx 3. One day after filling
the tank (or doing a water change), the pH spikes up in the mid 8's.
Everytime. We have tried eliminating one piece of equipment at a time until
it was just water, substrate and filter w/no media. The pH still spikes to
over 8 by evening. In the early morning it is back around 7.5 or so.

At this point, there is no livestock so we are bubbling a crazy 5bps. The
plants pearl a little and we can see bubbles in the tank, but the pH just
climbs. Both dropper test kits and probes read the same. The same source RO
water left in a jar with some Flourite is not experiencing this problem. I
have an identical setup except I use 20% tap water and my pH is fine at 7
and kH is about 7. What are we missing here? It has been suggested that he
raise the kH to equalize this equation.

Thanks,
RJ