Re: [APD] CO2 and sublimation

H2O too can pass from, for example, solid to vapor, which
property is used to advantage in the freeze dry process.

The tank pressure prevents the CO2 from behaving like a gas
at CO2 tank temps -- well some in the tank is gas and some
liquid. But there is just too much kinetic energy for the
CO2 molecules to line up and stay lined up. If you gave the
compressed CO2 more room, which one does when one releases
it from the tank, it happily performs quite gaseuosly.

That's not the whole story and probably briefer than most
chemist would like.

sh