Re: [APD] float switches/overflow prevention

I think the best form of prevention is to have a sufficient overflow around
the standpipe with plenty of overflow area. That way lots of plants can
accumulate and won't clog anything. However if you are still paranoid, you
could hook up a float switch. You can get them from lots of sources
autotopoff.com <http://autotopoff.com>, premiumaquatics, etc. You can also
make your own if you have some electronics knowledge. The switches only cost
about $7 and then you hook it up to a relay that controls your outlet.

Something you should check is to make sure the relay on the float switch you
get can handle the current your pump pulls!

I think if you have a decent size overflow around your standpipe you won't
have any problems with clogging. I too was worried about that stuff when I
first setup a sump, but after having one run for a long time, I realized it
wasn't worth worrying about. Stuff never blocked it enough to stop the flow.

A few generic sump suggestion:

Either have a hole in your pump return to break the siphon in case of power
outage, or leave enough room in your sump for water to siphon out of the
tank into the sump and not overflow it. CHECK VALVES FAIL!

Use a durso standpipe on the drain. This will quiet it down a LOT!

Good luck.