Re: [APD] Lighting

Actually, no, LEDs are not. The really bright ones are a
bit less energy efficient than good fluorescents and
actually depend on fluoresence to emit light.

The highest energy efficency of lighting lamps belongs to
certain of the mercury-vapor gas lamps. Not the MH ones
that one might use on an aquarium but ones with output in a
very narrow band of the spectrum. They are suitable for
special purposes and some have energy efficiency over 80%.
The ones suitable for aquaria have about the same energy
efficiency as fluorescents, roughly 35%.

sh