Re: [APD] Natural pea gravel, a high iron substrate

With the quoted article in hand:

"Natural River Rock - (manufacturer unknown) - very hard calcined clay; light beige; resembles aquarium gravel; 2-5mm in size; no organic matter."

"Sand - sediment particles. Most common form is silicon dioxide (SiO2). Size 0.05-2mm. No nutrient or CEC value. pH-inert."

Which leads to the conslusion that sand (and pea gravel) is different than calcined clay.  If cost is an issue, there are products marketed a "aquatic soil" at home improvment stores.  Most report that that the material is very light and does not plant as well as fluorite.  If you do mix fluorite and playsand, keep in mind that larger bits tend to rise with time.

-Paul