Re: [APD] your miniature tanks

If the tank is only about a gallon or so, consider doing
something along the lines of what Karen did in her 3/4g --
instead of substrate, use a stiff mesh or small "egg-crate"
cover with a ground cover plant. I recall that Karen used a
stiff mesh such as is used for counted-cross-stitch--
sometimes called plastic canvas or free-form mesh

http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/plastic_canvas/stitch_pages/pc_fly.html

Then the whole thing can be lifted out for cleaning. It's
hard to take water out or put water back in a tiny tank
without disturbing the substrate.

A small tank is one place where Monosolenium tenerum
(formerly misreferred to as "pellia") can be used without
the usual problems -- there isn't enough tank for it to be
blown about by water currents ;-). Slow growing crypts can
work well, such as C. undulata or C. walkeri (lutea) if you
keep them trimmed back. Echinodorus Parviflorus 'Tropica'
can work, since it grows so slowly and stays so compact
unless given tremedous amounts of light and food.

If you can't any E. parviflorus let me know and I'll check
whether my are decent enough to go out of the house.

With a small tank, it's easier to find small hang-on
filters than canisters. Small clamp-on power compact work
lights are one thing to consider. Or one or more of the Red
Sea lights for their tiny tanks -- for example:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8154&N=2004+113345

The colors are gaudy tomy eye but other than that, they
work well.

If you're going to heat the tank, a mini heater that fits
in the filter or that can be tucked out of view

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12087&N=2004+113767

or

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F45/Class/Fish+Supplies+Heaters/T1/F54BX+0171+0025/EDP/7320/Itemdy00.aspx
 -- else, consider a temperate tank.

If you put in shrimp, be sure to cover the tank ;-)

enjoy life in gallons,
sh