Re: [APD] straw bales

At 06:52 PM 30/09/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I would be a bit leery on using just bales.  They will compress.  90gal is
>what, over 720lbs of just water weight.  Bales can compress easily.  That's
>why NM building code only allows them for infill walls, not structural use.
>You'll need a top plate to evenly distribute the weight, and for an
>aquarium, I would be very concerned with lateral movement.

Where's it gonna go?

They will distribute the load more evenly than
any other stand and once under compression they become
quite solid.

I wan thinking of (Mahogany) marine ply for the top.

There's more straw bale buildings around here (pop 1300) than
anfwhere else in Ontario - there's the same mumber of thew in Ottawa.

There's two story Nebranka style (load bearing{ houses
here.

As for load bearing, check this out:

http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/jakubal.html
http://www.potkettleblack.com/natbild/jakubal6.html

Looks like it would be a great fishroom.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net