[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [APD] Needle valves

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Tom Wood wrote:

> Aren't most regulators machined with a 1/8" FNPT connection? And, it would
> be good to know what the Swagelok 1/8" tubing connection really is in
> comparison to regular air or CO2 tubing.

Swagelok uses a compression-fit union meant to be used copper tubing or 
brass fittings.  To adapt to regular air or CO2 tubing, you buy a little 
hose barb fitting from Swagelok for a buck or so.  To adapt to 1/8 NPT, 
they have another adapter, another couple bucks.  I wish I'd shot pictures 
back when I had all Nupro valves hooked to the regulator.  All brass and 
copper until the line going to the aquarium.  Best quality stuff I've ever 
used.  When I expanded to four tanks, I sold it, replaced with ARO, which 
was not really meant for the job, but did work.  A year ago I bought 
several used Fabco valves...they're nicer than the ARO valves, but the 
fittings are plastic and the dial a little harder to adjust than the 
Nupro, and the whole thing hooked up using hose barbs and silicone tubing 
on both sides of the valve just has a flimsier, cheaper feel to it.

   - Erik

Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com
Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com