Re: [APD] Needle valves

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Tom Wood wrote:

> Aren't most regulators machined with a 1/8" FNPT connection? And, it would
> be good to know what the Swagelok 1/8" tubing connection really is in
> comparison to regular air or CO2 tubing.

Swagelok uses a compression-fit union meant to be used copper tubing or
brass fittings.  To adapt to regular air or CO2 tubing, you buy a little
hose barb fitting from Swagelok for a buck or so.  To adapt to 1/8 NPT,
they have another adapter, another couple bucks.  I wish I'd shot pictures
back when I had all Nupro valves hooked to the regulator.  All brass and
copper until the line going to the aquarium.  Best quality stuff I've ever
used.  When I expanded to four tanks, I sold it, replaced with ARO, which
was not really meant for the job, but did work.  A year ago I bought
several used Fabco valves...they're nicer than the ARO valves, but the
fittings are plastic and the dial a little harder to adjust than the
Nupro, and the whole thing hooked up using hose barbs and silicone tubing
on both sides of the valve just has a flimsier, cheaper feel to it.

   - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com