Re: [APD] GH vs. PPM

On Monday 26 September 2005 21:03,  Tom Wood wrote:

First, make sure that your TDS meter is calibrated.  Inexpensive meters
require frequent calibration and without it they can produce useless results.

There is no meaningful relationship between GH and TDS.  It is even possible
for the GH (measured as ppm CaCO3) to be higher than the TDS.  That is an
extreme case.  More commonly the GH can be quite low while the TDS is high.
Up until a couple years ago my tap water flowed with about 24 ppm of GH and
500 ppm of TDS.

I can't comment on your KH/pH problem because you didn't describe it.

With all due respect to the manufacturers, it is a waste of money to use a
chemical product to reconstitute RO water unless your tap water is *really*
out of whack.  Just mix your RO back into your unsoftened tap water to get
what you want.

If there's really something messing with the results of your titrations then
it is most likely to be either the quality of the test kit or an inattention
to detail offered by the analyst.

Roger Miller