Re: [APD] Theory vs. Actual

Jerry said,  "One thing confuses me about this generalization. If
experimental results
obtained from carefully controlled laboratory conditions cannot be
carried forward to the "messier, uncontrolled tank of the hobbyist", it
is even more certain that results of a similar experiment conducted
under those "messier, uncontrolled" conditions will be even less
applicable. "

And I respond:  Of course!   A well planned experiment will reduce the
uncontrolled variables to a number as close to 1 as possible.   If you
reread
my post you will not see any reference to experiments.  You will see a
caution about extending the results of a controlled lab test to an aquarium
environment.  Sometimes it's valid, sometimes not.

"That leads to the inevitable conclusion that no experiment
anywhere has any bearing on anyone else's aquariums. If we do not accept
that conclusion, we are left with the untenable position that an
experiment with controlled variables has less relevance than the same
experiment performed with less control over those same variables. Or, in
other words, that the less you control for extraneous variables, the
more applicable and universal are the results of your experiment. "

There is a syllogistic problem somewhere in that.  Logicians, help.

"That seems retarded to me."

Uh, I won't personalize that.  <g>

Bill