Re: [APD] Theory versus Actual

Well, that would certainly explain the ten diff answers for
any question and the freqent cases where, regardless of the
conditons, it seems one can always find at least one person
who has done what can't be done or avoided what supposedly
cannot be avoided. ;-)

Scott H.

--- Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

> Bill D wrote:
> > And I say a hearty "Amen!"  Just because a closely
> controlled, limited
> > variable experiment in a laboratory environment does or
> does not produce
> > a certain result doesn't  necessarily carry forward to
> the "messier",
> > uncontrolled tank of the hobbyist.  We sometimes accept
> "Well, I never
> > had that happen under those conditions" as dogma, and
> we shouldn't.
>
> One thing confuses me about this generalization. If
> experimental results
> obtained from carefully controlled laboratory conditions
> cannot be
> carried forward to the "messier, uncontrolled tank of the
> hobbyist", it
> is even more certain that results of a similar experiment
> conducted
> under those "messier, uncontrolled" conditions will be
> even less
> applicable. That leads to the inevitable conclusion that
> no experiment
> anywhere has any bearing on anyone else's aquariums. If
> we do not accept
> that conclusion, we are left with the untenable position
> that an
> experiment with controlled variables has less relevance
> than the same
> experiment performed with less control over those same
> variables. Or, in
> other words, that the less you control for extraneous
> variables, the
> more applicable and universal are the results of your
> experiment. That
> seems retarded to me.
>
> --
> Jerry Baker

Coming Soon in November, the winners and all the other beautiful entries in the 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest. Every continent is represented -- except Antarctica. Maybe next year Antarctica, too ;-)

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org