Re: [APD] Theory versus Actual

Bill D wrote:
> And I say a hearty "Amen!"  Just because a closely controlled, limited
> variable experiment in a laboratory environment does or does not produce
> a certain result doesn't  necessarily carry forward to the "messier",
> uncontrolled tank of the hobbyist.  We sometimes accept "Well, I never
> had that happen under those conditions" as dogma, and we shouldn't.

One thing confuses me about this generalization. If experimental results
obtained from carefully controlled laboratory conditions cannot be
carried forward to the "messier, uncontrolled tank of the hobbyist", it
is even more certain that results of a similar experiment conducted
under those "messier, uncontrolled" conditions will be even less
applicable. That leads to the inevitable conclusion that no experiment
anywhere has any bearing on anyone else's aquariums. If we do not accept
that conclusion, we are left with the untenable position that an
experiment with controlled variables has less relevance than the same
experiment performed with less control over those same variables. Or, in
other words, that the less you control for extraneous variables, the
more applicable and universal are the results of your experiment. That
seems retarded to me.

--
Jerry Baker