If you're into DIY, you can rig up something like this,
which works very well:

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Safety_Siphon_Aquarium_Drain/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

for just a few bucks worth of PVC and the time it takes to
find the parts. The hose bib is probably the harest part to
find.

Even when the water get down too low continue draining (at
whatever height you set by adjusting the pivot), enough
water remains around the rotor to keep it from overheating.

If you want to get fancier, Add a Tee fitting and put a
ball valve on either side and then after the pump fills the
hose with water, you can can use a gravel vacuum tube on
one side of the tee. Or just stir things up and let the
pump suck out the muck.

sh