Liz Wilhite wrote:
>  As a matter of fact, that is true. It is a waste of time to make exact
> measurements of flour, or liquids or eggs or herbs or.... Recipes are rarely
> followed exactly by good cooks, mostly because of the variables involved. An
> experienced cook knows they are ballpark figures and pays attention to the
> appearance, taste and texture to create a great dish. The point is enjoying
> the food, not how exact the rule of thumb is that gets you to the food. I
> think of food recipes about the same way I think of wpg, CO2 and nutrients.

The whole point of a recipe, whether in food or in planted tanks, is to
have a guide which can be followed with a predictable result. With a
good recipe, it is not possible to follow the directions accurately and
end up with an unpredictable result. Some people here seem to be saying
just that.

I am asking if a recipe calls for 1 cup of flour, would it not be better
to measure the flour in grams? What if we discover that we can gain more
predictability by specifying the amount of flour in grams rather than
cups? That's the whole point. I don't know how to make it more clear.
Maybe I would find out that it's not any better, but that's something
that cannot be known until it is tried. It cannot be learned from
speculation.

Either I am misunderstanding, or some appear to be saying that there is
no point in trying to gain predictability because the predictability we
have is good enough. If that's the case, why do we discuss planted tanks
at all? I mean, we already know exactly how to accomplish everything we
want, right?

--
Jerry Baker