On 9/19/05, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:

Of course, what good are recipes? Everyone's oven is different, the
ingredients are different brands, they may mix the batter for longer or
shorter than someone else, who knows what the chickens that laid their
eggs ate ... it's just too many variables to draw any useful conclusion.
There's no point in trying to measure the flour exactly when everything
else will just change the result anyway.
 As a matter of fact, that is true. It is a waste of time to make exact
measurements of flour, or liquids or eggs or herbs or.... Recipes are rarely
followed exactly by good cooks, mostly because of the variables involved. An
experienced cook knows they are ballpark figures and pays attention to the
appearance, taste and texture to create a great dish. The point is enjoying
the food, not how exact the rule of thumb is that gets you to the food. I
think of food recipes about the same way I think of wpg, CO2 and nutrients.
 Liz