Liz Wilhite wrote:
>  I suspect the real reason the pursuit of the ultimate in fine grained
> knowledge doesn't interest a lot of people is that the beauty of a planted
> tank has almost nothing at all to do with the rate of plant growth, having
> more to do with basic health, fauna, artistry, color and texture,
> preferences of growth habit and design. It's not that no one cares, its just
> that it is not necessary to enjoy the hobby for most people.

That's a good thing. The world needs artists and people concerned with
aesthetics. Most people don't enjoy math, physics, and critical analysis
during their leisure time. Luckily for me, I'm not most people ;) I'm
from the "other side of the tracks" and find right-brained things fairly
boring. That doesn't make them less valid, just not for me.

For me the beauty of a planted tank is the culmination of direct
manipulation and measurements ... applying knowledge to achieve a result
and always experimenting. I'm usually too busy measuring stuff to sit
back and look at the beauty ;) I've tried. I look for about 20 seconds
and then think something like, "hey, I bet if I time 100 CO2 bubbles and
divide by 100 I will have a much smaller margin of error. Hmmm, I wonder
if I time two hundred if the result will be any different...."

--
Jerry Baker