Re: [APD] Dreaded Lumens/PAR/PPFD/Watt per Gallon Topic

really. i'm gonna have to go have a talk with some professors. because
thats not what i learned at all. i learned that those measurments
currently are based on all light produced not just the human visual
spectrum unless you are strictly speaking of photography endeavors. that
the measurments for photography are different than those made for say
lab use but carry the same names for whatever weird reason. not saying
your wrong just stating what i was taught.

as to heat and such. true although when your talking plants UV is most
certainly not useless within the right type of UV. which isnt to say
that lamps dont waste light in the useless uv bands, but that uv in i
think only one band is very important to plant growth. and your right it
doesnt contribute to the heat factor, what i was trying to say and
apparently missed on, is this. Plants aside, and focusing on light only.
making light in the UV bands is still making light useful or not, but
for every degree of heat created thats energy not creating ANY light at
all. hence if you were using a an extremely inefficient fluro tube, just
for a hypthetical. they use phosphours and coatings to alter the
spectrum across the board, if the tube is creating excessive heat thats
a waste. maybe your getting 50% of the light you could get using more
effcient cooler bulbs. therefore on a light thats 175 watts and sets
things on fire when it touches them compared to a 175 watt cooler bulb
thats a ton more light at the same wattage.

 i'm not saying WPG is completely useless either. but it isnt exactly
IMO, given facts like that, all that accurate. the ultimate point is
that not all watts are equal. hence the point that fluros at 20 watts
are worth at least 2 or 3 times that in light output at the same wattage
from an incadescent. as the ligthing technology increases so the WPG
rule becomes unable to make the same formula it did 10 years ago. soon
your going to be way off using that rule of thumb.

i agree about the photosynthesis action spectrum. if your not in it then
your wasting your time all together. and if you look to that spectrum it
does include some UV light i think UVA. i cant remember off hand which
is used by plants. as to PAR and Einsteins, i dont know as much about
them. it seems to me its been left to us to find a way to measure the
light intensity in the action spectrum so that we can determine more
accurately what should go where and how much so we arent wasting energy,
because quite honestly when you get to around 3 big planted tanks, your
talking a about a good conversation about the energy bill with the
missus, if you have one.
hehe