[APD] Goldfish and planted tanks

We recently moved to a new home where the total dissolved solids (TDS) out
of the tap measures 470ppm. According to the local experts, our tapwater is
groundwater with a dash of bleach added for 'treatment'. The house also has
a salt-based water softener. My high-tech planted 90 gallon aquarium
cratered. Probably not coincidentally, I notice that the local waterways
are almost completely bereft of plantlife.

I've since installed an RO system which gets the TDS down to 15ppm. I'm
using Kent RO Right to adjust back upward, but if I use the Kent
recommended dosing level for goldfish, the TDS will be back close to where
I started. I cut it in half and am presently at 220ppm TDS after making all
additions, including plant fertilizers, and baking soda to get the KH up to
5 degrees.

So the question is, are goldfish sensitive to the TDS level in the water in
terms of long term care and health?

TW

PS: A TDS meter is a -really- nice gadget to have around. I bought this one
from the same folks that sold me the RO system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-TDS-METER-FOR-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-SYSTEMS_W0QQitemZ4347093102QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

Made by Milwaukee.