Re: [APD] Substrates

There's a long and knotty collections of threads on APD re
the use of soil underlayments. I once pulled a bunch
together for TAG, maybe a year or so ago, but most of the
original material is in the archives -- notwithstanding
Diana Walstad's excellent remarks that were prepared
especially for TAG.

Basically, and at th risk of great exageration, some love
it, some hate it and only those that haven't tried it fall
between the two camps.

see you in the contest,
Scott H.

--- Bill D <billinet at comcast_net> wrote:

> Vaughn said. "Another problem with soil in the substrate
> is that if  you
> ever have to
> pull out a plant, either to move it or to eliminate it,
> it pulls some
> of the substrate lower layer to the top.  If that
> includes soil, it
> probably includes some NH4 too, and algae love NH4.  When
> I had a
> garden clay layer under my black beauty gravel my real
> algae problems
> started when I pulled out some plants.  So, I will never
> use soil under
> gravel again! "
>
> I've had several soil-under-gravel tanks in the last two
> years and none have
> given
> me that kind of problem.  Last week I had to move a large
> sword plant about
> six
> inches.  I did stir up a little sediment but within an
> hour it was not
> noticeable.
>
> I'm setting up a new soil tank.  My first step was to get
> "topsoil"
> (actually
> subsoil) without additives,  Now I'm soaking it for two
> weeks to get rid of
> most of
> the organics.  When that's done I'll put about 3/4 inch
> of it into the tank,
> over a small
> amount of peat and mulm from another tank and under about
> 1 1/2 inches of.
> 2mm - 3mm gravel, and then plant.  And later, prune.
>
> Bill

Only TWO days left to enter the AGA Sixth International Aquascaping Contest!

Have registered for the Contest? Uploaded your photos?
Sent in the Photo Release Form?
Entries must be completed before the deadline lapses on September 15.

Share the fun and show your work!

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org