Re: [APD] WATER HYACINTH

Eichornia crassipes is local in the basin of the Parana river. It tributes
to the Del Plata river, where Buenos Aires is located. There are no issues
with this plants as far as I know. From time to time when heavy rain occurs
in the north of the Parana (it runs from north to south), the water level
raises and the current brings some ?camalote? (local name) floating islands.
These are may have up to 90 feet in diameter or more, an occasionally
carries snakes, spiders, etc. It is rare, but they may become a problem for
yachting, since they sometimes clog small rivers and creeks of the Parana´s
delta, but this is very uncommon. Water ways are wide enough to carry
traffic (specially commercial) with no further issues.

Mariano