Re: [APD] flourite with soil substrate!

Another problem with soil in the substrate is that if  you ever have to
pull out a plant, either to move it or to eliminate it, it pulls some
of the substrate lower layer to the top.  If that includes soil, it
probably includes some NH4 too, and algae love NH4.  When I had a
garden clay layer under my black beauty gravel my real algae problems
started when I pulled out some plants.  So, I will never use soil under
gravel again!  I am now a believer in a uniform substrate, no matter
what material it is.  That is also why I stopped using root tabs for
fertilizer.

Vaughn H.