Re: [APD] tempered glass

On 9/11/05, urville <urville at peoplepc_com> wrote:

> It must be somewhat similar though right, my mother-in-law has burst a
> pyrex dish before, dont ask, and it was those same small random edged
> bits.
> Ian

 No. I've broken many, many pyrex containers in my life and it does not
break like tempered glass. However, the force involved in a burst can have
an effect on the size of the particles produced. It's a long story, but
while I was in grad school an idiot in our lab kept making glass bombs by
improperly sealing tubes in a manner that allowed them to collect liquid
oxygen. They didn't explode immediately upon rising to room temperature but
exploded over a period of days. Very few identifiable pieces of glass were
ever recovered but we had glass grit all over the place. The first tube to
explode was less than 2 feet from my head and essentially sandblasted my
glasses (thank god for them) and skin.
 Liz