Re: [APD] Silicone that really sticks

Silicone is not a high-adhesion material, but it has lots
of give (resiliency) so it works well for particular
purposes.

You'll probably be better off with a marine epoxy, although
it would work better if you had something a little rough to
stick to. If you sand the glass with #400 sandpaper, that
will give the epoxy a better grip. Sanding is NOT
recommended, of course, with tempered glass.

Scott H.

--- Tom Wood <tomwood2 at flash_net> wrote:

> I'm using 1/2" thick black eggcrate across the back of my
> 90 gallon. It's
> attached with black zipties to standoffs made of black
> eggcrate that is
> siliconed to the tank walls. The silicone fails regularly
> when doing
> maintenance that applies a stress to the connection. I've
> used GE RTV 108
> designed for aquariums as well as the regular hardware
> store stuff. Is
> there a type, or glue, that will grip the glass better?
> The standoffs are
> two cells wide by about eight inches long, so the
> connection to the glass
> is 1/2" by 8" long.
>
> TW

Have you uploaded your photos?
Sent in the Photo Release Form?
Don't wait too long for that perfect picture-taking moment; the
September 15 deadline for entries to the AGA Inernational
Aquascaping Contest is fast approaching.

Share the fun and show your work!

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org