Re: [APD] Canopy Cooling

Or piece of old bicycle tire inner tube, which is to
insulation what duct tape is to, well, to jsut about
everything ;-)

My favored method of cooling, when I have the option, is to
have a well-ventilated hood -- lots of opening for passive
airflow. It's almost impossible to hear passive airflow and
there are no mechanical parts to wear ;-) . Plusm it can be
quite effective. Here's an example, I replaced a hood on a
29 g. that was cooled with a 3" fan -- the hood had
openings at either end the diameter of the 3" fan. I
replaced that hood with one that I made similar to ones
that AHS sells (give or take a few structural
modifications), with the ample vents on the top.  Despite
employing no fan *and* using the same lamps as before, the
cooling is slightly better now -- that is, less heat gets
into the tank from the bulbs.

It's not always an option and not always a sufficient
method of moving heat away from an aquarium. But passive is
the way to go if you can.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

--- urville <urville at peoplepc_com> wrote:

> I agree. you get what you pay for... look for deals, the
> antecs i bought
> were 120mm, big fan but it cools like crazy and is still
> relatively
> quiet. depends on your needs, how hot are your lights
> getting?
>
> as to resonance... again i would DIY this at home depot
> look for door
> mounting rubber strips should work fine....
> ian flores

The September 15 deadline for entries to
the AGA Inernational Aquascaping Contest is fast approaching.

Don't forget to indicate if you want your AGA entry to also be an ADA (Aqua Design Amano) Layout Contest entry!

All the info is here:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

Share the fun and show your work!