Re: [APD] DIY jobs

Just a reminder, while we're on the subject:

While reducing the voltage way down helps prevent risk of
injury from electrical shock, a
Ground-Fault-Circuit-Interrupter should be considered
required equipment whenever mixing water and Tesla's magic.
;-)

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.

--- "Mariano F. Bonfante" <mariano_bonfante at hotmail_com>
wrote:

> That´s a very interesting point I have never considered.
> I will try to place
> a rectifier in the system.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Mariano
>

> >From: Stuart Halliday <stuart at stuarthalliday_com>
> >To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >Subject: [APD] DIY jobs
> >Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:12:53 +0100
> >
> >Mariano F. Bonfante wrote:
> > > Local outlets has 220V 50Hz, so I am using a 60Vca
> (typical en CATV
> > > industry), galvanic insulation transformer for
> feeding the resistors.
> >There
> > > is also a dimmer circuit, to allow two phases: day
> and night. Daytime
> > > permits the substrate to be 1ºC above the water, nigh
> phase just a bias
> > > voltage.
> >
> > > I spent some time with these systems, but it is fun
> and I like it.
> >
> >Cute.
> >I'm a IT engineer, who was a electronic engineer, so
> I've often built my
> >own low powered heaters for small Aquariums.
> >
> >I put the resistors in a test tube and fed them 18V DC @
> 1.1A from a
> >basic regulated off the shelf DC power supply.
> >So no risk of electric shock or it failing like normal
> heaters.
> >
> >It has as a side effect, a low electromagnetic field due
> to its use of
> >DC as oppose to using AC. Some say fish are sensitive to
> these fields.
> >
> >--
> >Stuart Halliday

The September 15 deadline for entries to
the AGA Inernational Aquascaping Contest is fast approaching.

Don't forget to indicate if you want your AGA entry to also be an ADA (Aqua Design Amano) Layout Contest entry!

All the info is here:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org

Share the fun and show your work!