Re: [APD] hydrogen sulfide - thanks

Thanks for your message. Actually there are two resistors connected in
parallel. They are placed outside the tank, so everything is dry. This
heaters looks like an aluminum rod. In fact, they are used in electric
devices such as irons, ovens, washing machines, etc. The connector is a
constantan rod which gets out strait from the center of the aluminum jacket.
Albeit standard, these resistors are prepared by order in different shapes,
but have a maximum length available (that?s why I used two of them). I place
the aluminum plate for temperature and weight distribution over the
resistors, since the tank is placed over.

Using resistors outside de tank is a fairly inefficient method, but much
safer and easier to operate. I am using 60Vca for avoiding electrical
shocks.

Others prototypes I made use a silicon jacket cable placed inside the tank
below the gravel, with a special resistor cable used for heating valves and
pipes in the petrol industry. It is commercialized rated in watt per meter,
currently 20w/m, 30w/m, or 40w/m.  Basically, there cable core is a copper
pair which carries the main power. This pair has notches from time to time
on the insulation, alternating form one cable and then the other. A fine
constantan wire is warped over the mentioned pair, and everything is
protected with a silicon jacket. The constantan wire get in contact with the
main pair over the insulation notches, so this generates small resistors in
parallel, thus the X w/m cable.

This jacket show to fail over the time (5 years), due to ingress of moisture
that corrodes the fine constantan wire, coming from invisible leakages. I
placed the end of the cable outside the tank, and then I made the splicing
with a regular cable up to the transformer. For 100G tank I used 24 feet of
this cable. The problem was insulation of the wet end placed inside the
water. I prepared a sturdy splice, made of sillicon rubber and jackets. This
one doesn?t fail. In fact, these portion was OK when I turn the system off,
the failure was placed closer to the center mark.

The bad experience with the buried cable derive me to try with the dry
alternative that I explain before, but perhaps there are other materials as
you mentioned, that could be used for jackets in order to leave the cable
underwater with no impairments. But I didn´t know about them when I made the
last prototype. The other problem is that the cable could be pulled out of
the gravel in case of unplanting, due to  roots wrapped over it. This
happened to me many times.

Mariano