Re: [APD] Excel and UV light

Right onthe money. Whatever UV does to chelators, it
doesn't remove iron from the aquarium. It's still in there;
the plants just have to work a little harder to get it. ;-)

sh

--- Pete <peteal at sympatico_ca> wrote:

> When I have used my UV (only for outbreaks of green
> water) for a few days I do observe my faster growing
> plants new leaves go pale which is one indication of iron
> deficiency.  I never get this effect without the UV
> sterilizer working.  Luckily you only need to turn it on
> for 2-3 days to solve your green water problem which is
> just around the time the pale leaves show up.  Stopping
> the UV solves the problem.
>
> I can't say all this is a 'fact' as I haven't done
> chemical tests with before and after results ;).  But
> just from observation I would say it does seem to effect
> iron levels in the water.  Going off memory, that would
> be chelated-iron levels which happens to be the ones
> plants prefer (it can't actually 'remove' things from the
> water.. just change the chemical form) and not sure what
> happens to all the dechelated iron in the water.  As I do
> weekly water changes (one of the perks of doing that) I
> don't worry about the levels as they'll get reset.
>
> Cheers
> Peter.
>
> >I read on another site that Seachems Excel is broken
> down by U.V. light and
> >that if you want to use it you need to turn off your
> U.V. sterilizer.
>
> >Does anyone now if this is fact?

What? You haven't entered yet this year? The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15.

Looks like this might be the biggest year ever for Aquascaping Contest entries from countries inside and outside of North America.

So share the fun and show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open but only for a couple more weeks.

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org