[APD] cycling water for water changes

I'd like to know more about how people set up their water barrel that
they use for cycling their changing water.  Regarding those who do this.
Any and all opinions and thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Do you just filter it through media?  carbon?  add dechlorinator?  would
throwing some floating plants on top be a good or bad idea?
(I'd put mine outside, when/if I do this)
and about how large of a pump (gph) would be preferred for 50g?  since
there wouldn't be any fish in there..
or perhaps a better question, how small of a pump(gph) can I get away
with?  just something to keep the surface moving and the water cycling
from top to bottom?  or more?
and any other questions I've yet to think of.

Part of the reason I ask, is that my tap water may be coming in with
ammonia to about 4ppm occasionally, according to a fellow local
aquarist, I've been too lazy to verify that.  That, and the other
advantages are causing me to think seriously on the subject.  Presently
my water changes either come straight from the tap after going through
an under sink carbon filter, or from the same tap but stored in gallon
jugs for the tank at work and drinking water at work... and small tanks
at home. So, another question then, does carbon filter out ammonia?  Or
are those white pellets the only thing that does that? (besides plants
of course)

thanks,
-derek parr