Re: [APD] Aeration & a planted tank

Well said.

I wonder if fish population has more to do with causing a
morning-gasping condition than lots of plants. My slow-grow
(or "no-added-CO2) tanks have always been reasonably
densely planted, but not overcrowded with fish the way my
fast-grow tanks usuall are. some of the slow grows have had
biowheels, which I believe are very good aerators, but not
all of them. In the slow grows, temps usually pretty
constant 78-80, GH and KH about 2 or 3, pH 7.0-7.2 --
Excel, traces (Flourish or MasterGrow), and small amounts
of KNO3, and KH2PO4 added regularly.

Tom or Roger or whoever, in general, does ammonia level
rise (due to lessened plant uptake regardless of O2 levels)
during darkness periods? If so, this could be a cause for
morning gasping? Of course, if O2 levels go low in the
dark, that will depress bacterial activity, which could
also result in slightly raised ammonia.

sh

--- Raj <ggrk at blr_vsnl.net.in> wrote:

>          Yes, Erik has done a great job of archiving that
> thread. I
> remember reading it. I agree you on the O2 level
> possibilities. We have
> terrific power outages here in India, part of life for
> us..
>
>          I think the behavior of a planted aquarium is
> highly variable. If
> you consider 1. Thinly planted 2. Moderate and 3. heavily
> forested with
> that in mind 1. Thinly populated 2. Moderately & 3.
> Heavily populated (not
> forgetting the snails :-) ) and like wise water
> hardness.. amount of
> circulation.. CO2 injected or not.. agitation..  we end
> up with too many
> variables. In time some clarity will develop from list
> members efforts and
> discussions I hope.
>
>          Most setups discussed on APD are (I think)
> moderately planted,
> thinly populated and moderate to low hardness water.
> Compared to my Heavily
> forested tanks with moderately hard water (Kh 8+) and
> heavy population
> (they grow & breed)..
>
>          So anyone following discussions here have to
> keep that in mind..
> maybe an ideal tank definition needs to be (repeatedly)
> stated with
> variation above or below that.

So far it looks like this might be the biggest year ever for Aquascaping Contest entries from countries outside of North America.

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15.

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org